Friday, June 02, 2006

Jango

June 1st Thursday

Hello everyone, I can't believe it's June already it doens't seem possible that I've been here for 3 weeks. The time is flying by and there is still so much I don't know. Two and a half months left - seems like such a short time.

I am so happy that everyone is enjoying the blog, that's great motivation for me to keep writing. I want it to be as interactive as possible so if you want to ask questions or want me to clarify something or want me to write more just ask. I appreciate the comments so much even though I usually don't have time to respond to them all. I'm fortunate to be close to the internet though, someone else in the Upper West is 4 hours away so he must be using a cell phone a lot.

A lot of people here have cell phones, no one has land lines as that would be a huge waste of resources to put in right now. THe cell phone deals are also pretty good, you can receive calls for free!! You also don't pay for a monthly plan or activation fees you just buy a units card (like minutes) and then you're set. Unfortunately all the cellphone companies who provide the service are investors from foreign countries. My network is Areeba, it has the best service out in this area.

I want to work on posting more about ZOVFA's programs, it's history and the people I"m working with. But that will have to be in another post unfortunately. ZOVFA's history is an especially interesting story :)

Yesterday and today I've been attending a Communication & Advocacy skills workshop in the ZOVFA office. It's part of the RAVI program which aims to increase people's involvement and lobbying to the state at the regional level. Letting people know their civic rights and what they can demand from their government will mobilise communities into advocacy in their district and regional assemblies. Already one community had managed to get a clinic and another a new school - both work to really meet the immediate needs of the people in those communities as the clinics are usually far away in Bawku and take several hours to bike to and the schools have over 60+ children per classroom and are sometimes staffed by volunteer teachers. The workshop is attended by 4-5 key representatives from each of the 4 pilot communities of the project who will then be responsible for spreading the information in their communities and acting as key leaders in this aspect. It's been alot of fun as the facilitator is really good and therefore the workshop is very interactive. They did the communication telephone line and them message totally got changed along the line of 6 people :) THe original message was that there were 3 teacher for 200 students in Binduri school and the final message was that their were 60 pupils at Binduri school. The RAVI program also includes a lot of dramatization to get the word out, which I can't wait to see some of, as well as dancing.

I'm not sure if I wrote about this but in my first week I attended a women's group meeting under a tree under the RAVI and Domestic Violence Programs. They were all standing in a circle doing some kind of dance, one woman would start along the circle and choose another person opposite her. The women would jump in the circle and kindof stamp their feet and then touch bums while the others kept up the rythm and the song. When they were done the original woman jumped out of the circle and the new woman choose another partner and so on. Naturally I was included in the circle and did my best to figure out the stamping, jumping and butt knocking. You would all have been rolling around laughing if you could have seen me. It was great fun!! The ZOVFA staff person I came with told me that the songs they are singing represent mesages against domestic violence,spousal abuse and female genital mutilation. They sing "Don't hit the child, don't beat the child, don't cut the child - Respect, Respect, Respect". The power and joy of these women singing under a tree, their solidarity and support of one another, touched me more than I can know. The problems that they are fighting are huge and overwhelming, they work so hard all day bringing water, cooking, working and yet they still can come out and dance under a tree with all the energy and strength in the world. It brings me great joy and great sadness because I know that it is through the strength and incredible will of these women and the people here that development will happen. I feel joy to see their strength and sadness to know that the rest of the world, even in Ghana itself, is not choosing to change to make the situation more fair for the people here.

I had a chance to dance the "Jango" a second time last week where fortunately I could coordinate the stamping and knocking and jumping...somewhat:) I am continually amazed by the warmth and friendliness and acceptance that people have shown me and by the time they take from their days to explain and converse with me.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Samina: I just can't express how your blogs messages have touched me. We have so much here and still complain and fret. These women are such as example for us all. Love Mom

 
At 6:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The singing and dancing sounds like so much fun! And I bet it would be effective seeing as people often get songs stuck in their head. It's also really engaging and way better than sitting in a chair or at a desk.

Keep up the awesome blogs, I love reading them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home